Is it 30 or 90

All welcome, have fun, be nice
cantsay

Is it 30 or 90

Postby cantsay » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:58 am

Reading about this new rule regarding TC driving Lisense its as clear as mud !.... So many different statements from people on one forum its completly confusing ...

So if you visit 3 or 4 times a year, hire a car for maybe 3 weeks at each visit, you have to have a TC driving lisense ?

Gram

Re: Is it 30 or 90

Postby Gram » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:05 pm

...And just to confuse even more, I once asked (when the 90 day figure was in question) - two 7 week visits per year (totaling 98 days) BUT car hired/driven only 4 weeks each visit (totaling 56 days)...
Various answers from various people...... :cry:

Wookie

Postby Wookie » Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:56 am

well according to the BRS newsletter this is what it had to say regarding the driving licence:-
DRIVING WITHOUT A TRNC DRIVING LICENCE
If you own a property here, or intend to rent one for more than 30 days at a time, the
Law states that if you intend to drive you must hold a current and valid TRNC driving
licence. This also applies if you are renting a car.
Holiday makers who wish to drive must obtain a full licence after they have spent more
than 90 days here collectively, in any one year.
If you are involved in a traffic accident and are not in possession of a valid TRNC licence you
may be fined severely and ordered to pay the 3rd party’s repair costs. You can also be fined if
you are stopped at a police document check and don’t have a valid licence. A British ex-pat
was recently fined TL 600 for not holding a valid TRNC licence and was fined a further 300
TL for invalid insurance - because he was not properly licensed! Please always carry copies of
your licence, insurance and proof of your tax renewal with you when driving

cantsay

Postby cantsay » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:19 am

Hi Wookie, thank you for putting this up, does it mean though if you own a property , or intend to rent one, are they speaking about the house or renting a car in that sentence ? .. still confused really ... :)

geoffreys4

Postby geoffreys4 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:07 pm

cantsay wrote:Hi Wookie, thank you for putting this up, does it mean though if you own a property , or intend to rent one, are they speaking about the house or renting a car in that sentence ? .. still confused really ... :)

Must mean the car surely.
Either way sounds cream quackers.
Welcome to Cyprus - where who you know is everything!
Geoff.

Wookie

Postby Wookie » Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:08 am

Well I live here, have been stopped at one of the Police check points told by the officer (very politely) to get it sorted so I have, not only to stay legal but for my own protection as it's like Wakey Races here now, everyone in a hurry, disregard for solid yellow lines, no regard for other road users, and most don't have insurance MOT or insurance, also without it if involved in an accident even a minor one, without a turkish licence even if it not your fault, YOU ARE LIABLE for all the damage to both vehicles plus a fine...............so it's a no brainer really, and for the cost i'd rather have peace of mind each time I start "iittle sapphire" up .........

Hector

Postby Hector » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:35 pm

My wife and I have taken heed and now applied for our TRNC driving licences. Why, after visiting and owning a property for over 10 years and insuring a car has this not been raised before by our insurance company at the least?

Gram

Postby Gram » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:39 am

Having now owned a property for 3 years, I am now going to apply for a TRNC licence.
As to why this is now necessary, all I can suggest is that - "Hey, this is Cyprus..!" and that the government (or at least a newly appointed official) has decided that (in this instance) a long-established law, previously disregarded, is now suddenly going to be enforced....
The 90 day visitor's paper certificate (visa) issued at crossing points apparently ceased a couple of years ago - perhaps in due course, they will start issuing those again.... :lol:

geoffreys4

Postby geoffreys4 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:57 am

Gram wrote:Having now owned a property for 3 years, I am now going to apply for a TRNC licence.
As to why this is now necessary, all I can suggest is that - "Hey, this is Cyprus..!" and that the government (or at least a newly appointed official) has decided that (in this instance) a long-established law, previously disregarded, is now suddenly going to be enforced....
The 90 day visitor's paper certificate (visa) issued at crossing points apparently ceased a couple of years ago - perhaps in due course, they will start issuing those again.... :lol:

They discontinued the paper certificate for visitors as all details are now on their computer system, sometimes entered
manually, other times with a scanner. There is a notice at every crossing point advising you that it is YOUR responsibility not to
exceed the 30 days. Note 30, NOT 90.
You do not need a TRNC drivers licence for visits of less than 30 days.
Geoff.

Panchocat

Postby Panchocat » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:29 pm

This isn't a new law though. We were made aware of it twelve years ago.
In a similar thread many years ago on the defunct Cyprus44 I was shouted down when I repeated what a police officer had told us about the requirement for a TRNC licence. C'est la vie!

Return to “General Discussion”