My father would be pleased

All welcome, have fun, be nice
Selboy

My father would be pleased

Postby Selboy » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:00 pm

I am half Turkish Cypriot. My father was from Cyprus, mums a Londoner. He died 10 years ago. I have visited Cyprus a few times, first time I was 5 and it was undivided !! That was a long time ago, I've just turned 51 !! In around 10 years I will be moving to North Cyprus to escape the dreary English climate. Have any others done similar ??
Whats the feeling about the Greek side these days - I know they still THINK they are the legitimate government etc. Isn't it about time the TRNC was formally recognised now?

I do have family over there but dont really keep in touch.

Any comments appreciated - Thanks

Mavikiz

Re: My father would be pleased

Postby Mavikiz » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:32 am

Many of us have moved from the UK and enjoy our life in North Cyprus.
Ten years is a very long time away. I suggest you come to North Cyprus on holidays to see for yourself.
Read local newspapers on line that will help you to understand the political issues dividing this beautiful island.

Orange1

Postby Orange1 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:05 am

We first brought property in North Cyprus back in 2005 and like everywhere else things have changed dramatically.
Mavikiz advice I would agree with.
As an example I used to love to Kyrenia shopping sitting having a relaxing drink meal etc.
Now I only go every few months as the horrendous traffic and ongoing building work gets me down so I avoid visiting as much as possible
Politically so many different views...
I have never experienced any problems at the border.
Rent rent rent would be my advise until you are sure to buy.
So many lovely areas. Still a lovely place to live.
Do lots of research.
Hope this helps.

Selboy

Postby Selboy » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:28 pm

Thanks for the replies. I have a cousin who lives near Kyrenia, who I saw before Christmas. I don't think I made myself too clear unfortunately. I am going to the trnc in june / july this year for a holiday. I have not been over for nearly 10 years now due to my father dying there - he was a Turkish Cypriot and moved back when I was young.
I think if part of you is from another place you always have it calling you. Anyway, his home was left to myself and sister but due to him remarrying, his wife is there. I can speak turkish but not very fluent at present. Anytime I have been I have always felt at home - probably due to having a large family there and my father being well known.

As before, appreciate the replies.

Thanks

Return to “General Discussion”