When is a refugee not a refugee?

All welcome, have fun, be nice
Mavikiz

When is a refugee not a refugee?

Postby Mavikiz » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:20 pm

I recently travelled from the UK back to Kyrenia via Larnaca.
At the airport I had a conversation with an older woman (around 70 years old)
She told me that she and her husband lived in South Cyprus near Famagusta her daughter and her family lived nearby. She then said all her husbands family were "refugees".
I had an idea what she meant but I asked "are they from Syria"?
No they are Greek Cypriots who are refugees from the north she replied. She herself was not Cypriot but had been married to greek Cypriot for many years. These "refugees" are originally from the Karpaz

I could not help myself so I told this woman very politely but in no uncertain that as her family had Cypriot and British passports Lived in their own bought homes and had jobs and business that they were not refugees as recognised by the UN or the European Court of Human Rights.
I then asked the woman about the Turkish
" refugees" who had left land and homes in the south. Of course the foolish woman had no answer.
To say I was appalled by this woman who had been so indoctrinated into the Greek way of thinking is an understatement.
These poor hard done by Greek Cypriots need to
Stop whinging and get over it

Dalar

Re: When is a refugee not a refugee?

Postby Dalar » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:55 am

I think people like to play on words.

The definition of the word "refugee" is that someone is forcibly removed from their country. Which is why it becomes so difficult to assess anyone who claims to be a "refugee" from any other part of the World. In her case, the husband and his family were removed from their Country of Residence which was Cyprus and they lived in the Karpas area of Cyprus. The fact that they now live not far away from Famagusta in the Republic of Cyprus, is, as you suggest, not causing them any more grief that the Cypriot Turks have had to endure by way of the same, by having to leave their part of Cyprus also.

She is using her husbands case to give more drama to the situation by using the word "refugee". My opinion would be(as everything else I have written) she should be saying that the husband and his family were re-settled in their own Country of Residence, the same as the Cypriot Turks were.

The fact that they cannot get on as people residing in Cyprus which was one of the causes of the partition is a situation she, her husband and his family will have to put up with, until people like them change their views.

Very complicated situation which will be/is being handed down to different generations and annoyingly she is taking an opinion by marriage only, as someone who was not even born there.

Mavikiz

Postby Mavikiz » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:12 pm

Cypriots be they Turkish or Greek have never been refugees because they did not leave their country or cross an international border
They were/are IDPs Internally Displaced Persons as stated by UNHCR.

Dalar

Postby Dalar » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:09 pm

Mavikiz wrote:
> Cypriots be they Turkish or Greek have never been refugees because they did
> not leave their country or cross an international border
> They were/are IDPs Internally Displaced Persons as stated by UNHCR.

I think I might have said something similar in a roundabout way but not using the correct jargon as you have. :)

Mavikiz

Postby Mavikiz » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:50 pm

Dalar, at least we are singing from the same hymn sheet :lol: :lol:

Return to “General Discussion”