Salty's Fish n Chips ~ Karakoum

Eating out in the TRNC. Restaurants and your views.
highbury83

Not impressed, small portions of

Postby highbury83 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:00 pm

Not impressed, small portions of chips, fish is not real cod, no pickled onions or gherkins, russian waitress is confused and scary. We really needed a good fish and chip shop its a shame. nice decor though & very clean

foodie

Has anyone been to Cod

Postby foodie » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:10 am

Has anyone been to Cod Baba recently or has it closed down?.

Becker

Went to Hillside a week

Postby Becker » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:34 pm

Went to Hillside a week ago Friday.Definately Cod,very nice,not too large piece or too many chips,could have done with a bit larger portions.No more than a dessert spoon of mushy peas.Ravine without doubt better without the inclusive beer.

highbury83

Hi foodie, i have been

Postby highbury83 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:03 pm

Hi foodie, i have been to cod baba it's still open, nice food large menu choice.
Hi becker, i did hear the ravine was the best place for fish & chips.

Dalartokat

[QUOTE=kaydin;6062]Does anyone know if the

Postby Dalartokat » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:33 pm

[QUOTE=kaydin;6062]Does anyone know if the cook the chips in oil used to cook any pork sausages in ?[/QUOTE:ec9ea97b]

I'm a little confused, why would anyone do this, have you seen this done before? One would hope the restaurant would cook chips on their own in their own oil. Oil dosn't last long for cooking chips due to water and starch, it goes thin and needs changing often. As for cooking pork sausage in oil, I couldn't bear the thought let alone the taste, just my opinion.

Buster

It is 14tl but you

Postby Buster » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:54 am

It is 14tl but you also have to buy the chips separate! The reason for the wait is your fish is cooked from fresh, well worth the wait though its the best fish n chips I've had in years, that's why we go once a week!!

waddo

{post deleted by user}

Postby waddo » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:39 pm

{post deleted by user}

highbury83

Exactly you cant please everyone,

Postby highbury83 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:34 pm

Exactly you cant please everyone, this is restaurant reviews is it not? So why on the defence? And if you have ever eaten cod that was defiantly not it. I don't go to restaurant to learn how to talk a waitresses language (russian) :( Restaurant reviews should be informative with mixed opinions, not people debating others opinions. Clearly you must be an old member from cyprus 44!!!!!!

helendj

oh dear I'm afraid I

Postby helendj » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:55 am

oh dear I'm afraid I have to go with corona24. We were really looking forward to going to Salty's when it opened, and was encouraged by the amount of customers in there. Unfortunately my cod, if you'll pardon the pun, was 'rock' hard, the batter so hard, tiny piece, and not at all enjoyable, my husband asked for pickled onions which we would have had to pay extra for, but they didn't have any anyway, and we certainly won't be going there again - we've found so so many other lovely places to get fish and chips that Salty's won't be getting our custom. I'm happy for those above that had better experiences than us, perhaps we were just unlucky on the day!
However, HurDeniz was superb, the cod was beautiful (and too much of it), the chips were the best I've ever had on the island, and before our meal came out we were given loads of toast and butter, salad, olives, well worth going there. Another one echoing other reviews is Ravine - excellent fish and chips, no fuss just good fish, lovely batter, will happily be a regular at both of these restaurants

dougskud

Hi Everyone, would love to

Postby dougskud » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:29 pm

Hi Everyone, would love to try it when we are out next week, can anyone please post directions where it is located.
thanks
Doug

Return to “Restaurant Reviews”