Park Marine, Girne New Harbour

Eating out in the TRNC. Restaurants and your views.
JohnDownes

Park Marine, Girne New Harbour

Postby JohnDownes » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:08 am

After seeing the advertising for the new fish restaurant at the New Harbour in Girne we wanted to give it a try.

We were seated immediately (in retrospect we should have insisted on sitting at the bar and looking at the menu first over a cocktail), we were given a glass of not-particularly cold water, and left to it. It's a lovely setting, which is just as well because you spend a lot of time looking at it.

I had to ask for a wine list. There was nothing on it I particularly wanted to drink (mostly Turkish rubbish with a smattering of branded French wines from Barton & Guestier). I chose the B&G Muscadet. We ordered our food at the same time, and made it clear (we thought) that we wanted the wine now, before the food came. Ten minutes later, I reminded the waiter that the wine had not arrived. Ten minutes after that I spoke to the Maitre D' with the same request. Then something happened. The water appeared, the Muscadet was "off", and would I like this Cabernet Sauvignon? "You what?" I asked. There is a time and a place for a Cabernet Sauvignon, in fact I love the stuff as a rule, but NOT as an introduction to a fish meal. So I asked for the Wine List again. This time I selected the B&G Sauvignon Blanc. After another ten minute wait, the waiter reappeared with a selection of four different RED wines inviting me to select one of them!

At this point I had had enough. We made our excuses and left (as Fleet Street's finest used to say). Somebody asked why we were leaving early, I told them we were going some place where we might find some decent service. After the thick end of thirty minutes all we had to show was two glasses of tepid water and a pile of wine bottles none of which were even slightly comparable with the wines we had ordered.

All in all, I think it's the worst service I have ever encountered in 45 years of dining out. Basil Faulty would have been ashamed of this.

dougskud

Re John Downes post above

Postby dougskud » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:27 pm

Re John Downes post above re Park Marine. I won't bother to post our experience of last sunday evening suffice to say it was every bit as bad.
Doug

cornish

I too would only add

Postby cornish » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:01 am

I too would only add to this tale of woe... too many staff and not enough training....

dougskud

Talking to someone on Skype

Postby dougskud » Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:26 pm

Talking to someone on Skype this morning there appears to be a rumour that this restaurant is going to close, has anyone got any inside info?

Doug

babyheritage

yes I did wonder if

Postby babyheritage » Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:15 pm

yes I did wonder if it would be good. I sat and had a drink just after it opened. Impressed with the views but not impressed with the service, and they have employed that miserable waiter from Dolca Vita with the scar on his face.

owl lady

Friends went there the other

Postby owl lady » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:50 pm

Friends went there the other evening having already booked a table,.When they arrived they were told we are not opening tonight,when challenged as to why they were told it might rain!!They had travelled from Lapta with a 100 year old who fancied fish!They were given the "North Cyprus shrug"when they asked could they not have been telephoned as they had the number from the original booking.They then went to the new Hurdeniz restaurant and had an excellent meal.I don't think I will be visiting the Marine Park any time.

owl lady

I did post a reply

Postby owl lady » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:02 pm

I did post a reply and was advised it would be checked by the moderator.A subsequent posting has been accepted about Marine Park!!! I was asking what happened to my posting about MIdsummer House?

Kizzy

Wish I had read this

Postby Kizzy » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:13 pm

Wish I had read this thread before we went.

Service was very poor, we also had to ask twice for the wine list. 5 in our party - 3 went for two starters (instead of a starter & main) - 1 only had a main course - two bottles of average priced Turkish wine (as not much choice), two small bottles of raki, charged separtely for salads, 30TL for water, total price 480TL. Place is lovely, but total rip off.

Would expect more for 100TL per head! Not to mention the fact that the waiter dropped food from a plate onto the head of one of the ladies in our party !!! Never again

Return to “Restaurant Reviews”